Saturday, July 3, 2010

Work Part 1

We knew going into this trip that we were going to be building a park or playground of some sort for Casa Hogar Vida. What we didn’t know was how. But we started out by cutting out shrubs and trees. I even used a machete to cut off branches of trees.
Cutting up a tree with a Machete.

It was fantastic, but hard work. A machete wears your arm out quickly, and wore me out a lot quicker. However, I must note that the weather in Choluteca was unlike any I have experienced before. For the first time in my experience we came during the rainy season or at least the very beginning of it. I have never experienced humidity higher than this, especially at temperatures in the 110—120°F ranges. My body had trouble handling it. I quickly over exerted myself and had to sit out and cool off. That afternoon we went on the first of two evangelism trips. Two things stand out on the first trip. The first: when I was sharing the Gospel with a man and his daughter, I asked if he believed in God. His response: “Only a fool does not believe in God.” Powerful words. They will stick with me for a long time. The second event occurred while my group was waiting for the other group to finish evangelizing. While we waited, we shared the Gospel with some of the locals there, and after we finished, a young teenager came up to us and just spilled out his thankfulness toward God. He slowly told us his story. He was diagnosed with cancer a couple of years ago, and how he had to make several trips to the capital to receive treatment. How God provided for him and his mom so they could make the trip. As he sat there he told us that he was completely cured. I teared and could only thank God for this boy’s life. It was touching moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment